There are about two million living species in the Animal kingdom and all have some features in common. All animals are multi-celled organisms, they can move the whole or part of the body, swallow food, get rid of their own waste material and they can reproduce. The variety of animals is amazing : sponges, bees, snakes, elephants, butterflies, parrots, birds, fishes etc.
Vertebrates, including fish, reptiles, amphibians, mammals, and birds, represent only 1.1% of all species of animals, whilst arthropods, a class of insects, crustaceans, arachnids, has over one million species!
Intersting things about Animal Kingdom
- There are over 9000 known species of bids.
- Reptiles comprise one of the largest group of animals, with over 6000 species.
- There are about 4200 species of amphibians.
- There are more than 23000 species of fish in many shapes, colours, sizes.
- There are about 4600 species in the group of mammals.